Here are a few tips on what to look out for when buying your next car, and ways you can make the process easier on your nerves and your wallet.
Buying a used car, whether it be a private sale or from a car yard can be frightening, but it doesn't have to be.
1. Know your budget. Set yourself a price range and stick to it. If you are using finance, be sure to allow yourself room to move after paying your repayments as your vehicle might need repairs.
2. Write down what you want from a car. Is it just a small fuel efficient car to get you to work and back, or a new family car or 4x4? What features are you looking for? Make a list of what you want before you start looking, this will narrow down the choices and help you find something that will suit your needs.
3. Know what you are buying. Buying a car can be risky, especially if you don't know how the previous owner treated it, or the service history. Our used vehicle range has been workshop tested to help avoid any unwanted surprises after buying. Toyota Certified takes this to the next level for extra peace of mind motoring.
4. Do your homework. There are ways you can find out more about a car. Service NSW lets you order a vehicle history report to find out:
- if and why the vehicle was written-off anywhere in Australia from 2004
- if the vehicle, its number plates or engine are stolen
- the number of registered operators in NSW
- the vehicle's past use, for example, as a taxi/hire car
- if the vehicle has single/joint registered operators
- the vehicle's first registration date in NSW.
5. Go on a test drive. Before handing over any money, be sure you have taken the car for a drive. If you don't know what you are looking for mechanically, why not bring along a mate who knows more about cars. A benefit from buying from our used car department is we've already had our technicians and trained staff look over the car for problems.
6. Deal with someone you can trust. It sounds logical, but many people buy purely on budget, and this can lead to trouble. With more fraud, fake identities and people ready to disappear with your money these days, it makes sense to deal with someone you trust.
We've been in the local community since 1963, and our reputatition speaks for itself. We are the trusted name in automotive across the Hunter Valley and Port Stephens areas.
In summary, the more you can find out about a car before buying, the lesser chance there is of unwanted surprises and costs. Make sure you know what you are buying and who from to avoid a disasterous outcome.
Search our latest used car stock today. CLICK HERE
Maitland and Port Stephens Toyota has two locations of quality used vehicles, as well as competitive finance offers on site to approved purchasers.
Our award winning team is here to help you with all your motoring needs, call in or look through our website today.